10 Healthy Snacks for On The Go
Summer is filled with road trips, bbq’s, picnics and park dates! So, why not save money and keep your family healthy by packing up your own healthy snacks rather than hitting up another fast food joint that is less than nutritious.
Having nutritious snacks on hand also helps you (parents) to avoid those afternoon meltdowns from your kids.
Here are 10 great snack options for the next time you and your family are on the go:
1. Veggies and Hummus: sliced red peppers, carrot/celery sticks, and cherry tomatoes.
2. Homemade Trail Mix: mix of nuts; almonds, peanuts, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, a mix of dried fruit; (no sulfites is best) cherries, apricots, cranberries, blueberries, apples, a mix of seeds; sunflower, chia, flax, hemp
3. Wacky Apple Applesauce, Juice and Flat fruit; you can even freeze the juice cups to act as an ice pack and will serve more as a refreshing summer slushie (Every kid loves that on a hot summer day, right?)
4. Fresh Seasonal Fruit: cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, plums, peaches
5. Frozen Yogurt Tubes
6. Guacamole and Chips: make the Guacamole right before you leave and store in a tight container
7. Celery, nut butter and raw almond “boats”: instead of raisins top your celery/nut butter sticks with almonds for an extra protein boost
8. Cucumber and Tomato Salad: sliced cucumber and tomatoes with a pinch of sea salt, ground pepper and a drizzle of balsamic
9. Baked Kale Chips
10. Tortilla Wraps: Be Creative; try for the sprouted whole wheat wraps, nitrate free meats, organic cheeses, mixed greens, veggies, hummus or spreads, etc.
And…don’t forget to pack lots of H2O! Flat or Sparkling is best over sugary sodas!
Enjoy your summertime travels!