Similar to applesauce but loaded with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Apple butter is a wonderful spread on a slice of toast instead of the traditional jam or jelly. We also left out the extra sugar that is added into most apple butters and jams and let the sweetness of our apple varieties shine through.
- 1 cup of Wacky Apple apple juice
- 10-12 medium sized apples, peeled and sliced (we used a few varities of Fuji, Red Delicious, Rome and a tart green apple)
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
In a slow cooker combine all ingredients and cook on low 8-12 hours or overnight. In the morning, use an immersion blender or transfer the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Store in mason jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months. You can also tie a ribbon around these for a perfect gift for a friend or neighbor.