Baked Apple Pies
When our apples are in season we always have Baked Apples, Apple Crisp and Apple Pie on the menu for baking. However, this time we combined all three into one delicious and individual serving dessert. These Baked Apple Pies have all the flavor of the traditional desserts. Sweet apples are mixed with a oat and pecan crumble, stuffed into our Honeycrisp apples and topped with a homemade or store bought pie crust. We love creating a lattice style crust on top but feel free to get creative and do whatever your heart desires. We highly suggest serving it with a scoop of your favorite Vanilla Bean ice cream.
Baked Apple Pies
Makes 7 individual apple pies
- 8 Apples (we love gala or honeycrisp varieties)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into pieces
- 1 batch of our homemade Flaky Pie Crust Dough
- 1 egg
- sugar, for sprinkling
- Slice one of your apples into small diced up pieces and place in a medium size bowl. Cut the tops off the apples and using a melon baller or pairing knife, hollow out the insides of the apples, making sure to remove the seeds and core. Dice up the hollowed out apple portion and place diced apples into the medium size bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons brown sugar, granulated sugar , salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Stir in the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl combine the oats, pecans, remaining brown sugar and flour. Add in the pieces of butter and incorporate them with your hands until a crumble forms. Fold the crumble into the apple mixture.
- Fill the hollowed out apples with the apple crumble mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out the pie crust and cut into small strips (just longer than the width of the apple). Weave the strips into a lattice pattern atop each apple. Place the apples in a baking dish.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl and brush onto each apple crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Pour 1 inch of water into the bottom of the baking dish then cover with foil, being careful not to touch the tops of the apples. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden and the apples are soft.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.