Sweet Potato Latkes and Applesauce
Celebrate Hanukkah with these delicious and festive Latkes. Made with sweet potatoes and served with our golden or cinnamon apple sauce.
Sweet Potato Latkes:
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 large sweet potato (Orange), grated
- 1 medium sweet potato (white), grated
- 1 medium russet potato, grated
- 1 1/2 scallions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- peanut or olive oil for frying
- Wacky Apple Golden or Cinnamon applesauce, for serving
In a medium bowl, combine scallions and eggs. Add flour, salt, ginger, cardamom, and pepper, and stir until combined. Add potatoes, and toss until combined and evenly coated.
Fill a large skillet with about 1/4 inch oil. Place over medium heat until oil is almost smoking. (To test, drop a small bit of batter into the skillet; it should sizzle upon contact.)
Working in batches so as not to crowd skillet, carefully spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into oil for each latke. Lightly tamp down to flatten. Cook, turning once, until golden on each side, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a paper-towel-lined wire plate or rack to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with applesauce or your other favorite toppings.