Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids
Happy Thanksgiving! It’s the time for gathering with friends and family, chowing down on delicious food, watching football in your sweatpants, giving thanks for all of the wonderful blessings in your life and…creating FUN, homemade crafts with the kids.
My son had the whole week off of school, which made plenty of time for playing in the snow and getting some fresh mountain air, as well as creative indoor activities and games. We have been saving our Wacky Apple juice and sauce containers knowing that they could come in handy for crafts.
We came up with pilgrim hat place markers and a Thanksgiving turkey decoration (gobble gobble!). Most of the supplies we already had, except for the black and brown paint, which we picked up at the local “everything” store. If you don’t have a few supplies you can also get creative and use what you have.
So, what will you need to recycle your Wacky Apple juice and sauce containers into cool pilgrim hat place markers or a festive Turkey decoration?
- Wacky Apple juice or applesauce cup(s) (empty, rinsed out)
- Construction paper (assorted colors)
- Black and brown poster paint or acrylic paint
- Glue or hot glue gun (with adult supervision)
- Marker (to write name)
- Medium sized pom poms (we used white and black)
- Googly eyes
First, let’s construct our Pilgrim Hat place markers. These are something you could just do for the “kid’s table” to make it feel special or you could do one for each member of your group to show where each person will be seated at the dinner table.
Pilgrim Hat Place Markers Instructions:
- First, set your clean juice cup on a washable placemat or other washable area. Have a parent or adult punch a hole in the bottom of your juice cup where you will insert the stick. The stick may be inserted once the hole is in.
- Next, paint the outside of your cup black.
- Then, grab a sheet of yellow or golden paper and cut out a square “buckle”
- Also, pick your favorite color construction paper and cut out a rectangular shaped “flag” and write your name or your group members’ name on it with a black or dark colored marker.
- Once the paint is dried you can glue on your buckle to the bottom, front. You should also wrap your flag around the stick and glue it into place (if glue doesn’t hold, feel free to use tape).
- Once your place marker is finished continue making one for each member of your group and then set them in the center of their place setting.
If you are still feeling crafty, go ahead and make up a cool Turkey decoration. This would also be a fun kids project to do before or after your Thanksgiving feast.
Turkey Decoration Instructions:
- First, set your clean juice or applesauce cup on a washable placemat or other washable area. Paint the outside of your cup brown.
- Next, cut a small nose out of yellow or orange construction paper and a “gobbler” out of red construction paper.
- Have an adult help glue your googly eyes, nose and gobbler on your pom pom with glue or a hot glue gun.
- Cut out two feet with orange construction paper
- Gather a few feathers and cut out feathers from construction paper, if desired too.
- Once the paint on your cup is dry, glue on the pom pom, feet and feathers with glue or a hot glue gun (adult supervision). Be creative 🙂
It’s amazing what you can come up with using recycled items or supplies you already have in your home. I think I may have had even more fun then the kids during this creative craft session! Enjoy your holiday Wacky Apple friends.