Wacky Apple Smoothies
Smoothies are delicious! If you haven’t jumped into the world of smoothies, you need to give them a try. They are so versatile; meaning, add in ingredients you have on hand and ones you enjoy. They also are the perfect chance to get in lots of nutrients at once. I suggest adding in a mix of fruit, vegetables, greens, a healthy fat and liquid.
Before I share my two favorite Wacky Apple smoothies I want to talk you through how to concoct the perfect smoothie. I enjoy one that is consistently smooth, delicious in taste and packs a healthy and nutritious punch without a bunch of sugar and calories.
First, choose your liquid:
- Water, Coconut Water, Milk, Dairy Free Milk (almond, coconut, soy, hemp, rice), Kefir, Fruit Juice (you know our favorite ;)), Yogurt, Tea (green, herbal)
Second, decide which fruit(s) to add: (use frozen fruit in place of ice)
- Berries, Bananas, Peaches, Grapes, Apples, Pineapple, Mango, Melon, Kiwi, Plum, Pears, etc
Third, choose vegetables or greens for added nutrition:
- Spinach, Swiss Chard, Kale, Beet Greens, Collards, Sprouts, Cucumber, Cilantro, Parsley, Mint, Basil
Next, pick a healthy fat and/or protein (1-2 tablespoons):
Flax oil, Coconut Oil, Nut Butter (almond, cashew, peanut, sunflower), Fish Oil, Avocado (use half of the avocado), Oats
Optional Add-ins: Superfoods, Supplements, Spices, Natural Sweetners
- Superfoods (1-2 teaspoons): Bee Polen, Hemp Seeds, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Maca Powder, Raw Cacao Powder, Chlorella, Spiruluna, Goji Berries, Quinoa
- Supplements (1-2 teaspoons): Greens powder, Plant based protein powder, All natural whey protein, Shakeology, Probiotic powders
- Spices (1-2 teaspoons): Cinnamon, Ginger, Cayenne, Cardamon, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Mint Extract, Coconut Extract
- Natural Sweetners (1 teaspoon or less): Local raw honey, Pure maple syrup, Dates, Stevia
Once you have your ingredients planned out, get out your blenders and jump into the creation process.
Here are two creations we came up with that are nutrient packed, delicious, family friendly and perfect for on the go.
Blackberry Apple Breakfast Smoothie:
- 1 cup frozen blackberries (or blueberries or a mix)
- 1/2 of a banana
- 1/2 cup Wacky Applesauce; we did cinnamon but any flavor would be delicious
- 1/4 cup Oats (old fashioned or steel cut would work)
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
- Optional: flax oil, coconut oil, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, probiotic powder
Combine all ingredients in a blender and enjoy! Makes 1 12oz smoothie.
Wacky Green Smoothie:
- 1 cup of frozen Strawberries and Pineapple
- 1 cup or approximately 3-4 medium sized kale leafs (removed from the center stalk)
- 1 cup of Wacky Apple juice (we tried regular apple and apple grape and both were great)
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1 tablespoon of chia seed
Combine all ingredients in a blender and enjoy. Makes 1 12oz smoothie.