Lightened Up Apple Coleslaw
This coleslaw combines apples, carrots, broccoli and kohlrabi with a light greek yogurt poppyseed dressing instead of the traditional mayonnaise based dressing. Perfect for your next BBQ, picnic, or a simple lunch or side to dinner.
- 1 head of kohlrabi, peeled and sliced into thin strips or 2 cups of shredded red or green cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded broccoli and carrot slaw mix
- 1 honecrisp, Fuji or granny smith apple, julienned or chopped
- 1/2 of a green onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, optional
- 2 tablespoons of plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of Wacky Apple apple juice
- 1/2 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or pumpkin seeds, optional
In a large bowl combine the kohlrabi or cabbage, broccoli and carrot slaw mixture, green onion, parsley (if desired) and apple. In a small mason jar add in the greek yogurt, apple juice, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, poppyseeds and salt and pepper, to taste. Place a top on the jar tight and shake the jar to combine all of the ingredients. Pour the mixture over the slaw mix and stir to combine. Best if covered and refrigerated so the flavors have time to combine. When ready to serve top with pumpkin or sunflower seeds.